I know unique food trucks have become more common in Ottawa since we left, but in 2012 it seemed all you could find at a food truck in Ottawa was poutine, fries, hot dogs, etc – the usual fare (not that there’s anything wrong with that – I miss chip truck poutine more than I’d care to admit). So, when Nick and I discovered Moveable Feast here in San Jose we were over the moon. Moveable Feast is a gathering of local food trucks every Friday in a big parking lot about a ten minute drive away from us. There are usually at least 10-15 trucks, more in the summer, and always live music, buckets to sit/eat on, and lots of people getting their food truck on. One of the best things is that all of the food trucks take Square (a square dongle you can plug into an iPad and use to swipe credit cards) as a payment method – so no need to worry about having cash on hand!
We don’t go to Moveable Feast every Friday, but it’s definitely one of our favourite Friday night destinations. The different food truck offerings are incredibly varied and always delicious – some pics below of our favourites (look away, Aunt Donna!), but these aren’t everything we’ve tried; we’ve also had:
- countless amazing fish tacos from random Mexican food trucks
- Korean-Mexican fusion short rib burritos from MoGo
- Korean “burgers” on buns made of pressed-together grains of rice from KoJa Kitchen
- Peruvian street food
- Indian-American fusion from Curry Up Now (Nick had an inside-out samosa and I had Naan pizza, and we shared paneer fries)
- Taiwanese-American fusion “bao buns” from The Chairman
- epic grilled cheese sandwiches from Grilled Cheese Bandits
- the most butter-drenched, fresh, delicious lobster rolls from Sam’s Chowder
- and many more that I’m sure I’m forgetting!